It is important for counselors to be knowledgeable about laws specific to their state. Go to the Child Welfare Information Gateway, housed by U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
- Select your state of practice. NEW YORK
- Select at least three topics. DEFINITIONS OF CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT, PARENTAL SUBSTANCE USE AS CHILD ABUSE, DETERMINING THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE CHILD.
- Click on the check boxes that relate to your counseling work within the three areas of child abuse and neglect, child welfare, and adoption.
- Click the “go” button to begin your search for your state’s statutes.
- You will be provided with the specific citations and legal reference to those areas that you identified. Also, you should note that PDF files are available that correspond to these specific areas and that provide information so you can better understand the issue across the states.
Respond to the following:
- Which topics did you choose and why?
- What did you learn about the laws in your state related to the topics you chose?
- How will this knowledge influence your work as a counselor?