University of Massachusetts Amherst Week 8 Rationalization of Modern Life Essay
|MAX WEBER (1864-1920)|
Rationalization of Modern Life
- • The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism 
- o Introduction by Anthony Giddens and the Author’s Introduction
- o Ch 1-3 Breaking it down:
- What does Weber mean by rationalization and by modern Western Bourgeois Capitalism [Introduction]
- What is the spirit of capitalism? [Ch 1-2]
- What is the Protestant Ethic? The difference between Luther and Calvin? [Ch 3-4]
- What is the connection between the Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism? What is the difference between the origins of the Capitalist DOL and its reproduction? [Ch 5]
As discussion leaders
1) Create a handout. The handout should be a “study guide” that will help classmates prepare for exams and our class discussion.
(2) Prepare a ppt presentation on one or more key concepts in this reading. You cannot cover everything, but you can offer us a coherent angle on the readings.
**topics or questions arising from the week’s reading. You might pull out specific passages to comment on or pull out what you see as a key concept, idea, or argument from the reading.
(3) Offer the group 4-7 discussion questions.